Beagle Pup and Bulldog Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Ericsp

Pilot Aware Empty Pilot Aware

Sun May 27, 2018 11:38 am
I have just purchased the PilotAware package hopefully to make me more conspicuous to other users and of course also see other aircraft near me.
The unit is the new 'ROSETTA' design. I have also got two dipole aerials and a GPS antenna all of which I have velcroed to the rear windows. The actual unit is velcroed under the rear seat with the various cables suitably tied up and tucked away. At the moment I am driving the unit from a battery pack but I would like to be able to use the aircrafts own power supply.

Anyone any thoughts on powering it up and of course actual usage with SkyDemon?

Regards

Eric
Ericsp

Pilot Aware Empty Further experience with Pilot Aware

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:15 pm
I have given up trying to power the unit from the aircraft supply (Cigar lighter) as the fluctuations in voltage kept dropping the PAW unit out, I now run entirely on battery.  The unit has not dropped out since this change.
The PAW Rosetta unit has an audio out socket for issuing warnings of nearby traffic.  Unfortunately the volume is far to low to be effective when connected either to my headset (Lightspeed Zulu) or the aircraft intercom.  To resolve this I have installed a small, internal battery powered amplifier.  This in turn is connected to the aircraft intercom.  This seems to work well in so far as all occupants can hear the warnings over the normal headset.  The downside to this is that the messages are not muted when receiving proper RT messages or conversations over the intercom - a mixed blessing.
In general the unit seems to work well and shows traffic on the Skydemon screen (when suitably configured) and will issue ATC type warnings over the intercom irrespective of whatever navigation device is used.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum